In July, I turned the big 3-1. Not a significant birthday. But I wanted to make some new goals and aspirations for me, myself, and I, and what better time than the start of my own personal new year? And if you put them in writing (or in the notes section of your iPhone), then you’ve gotta stick to them, right?
Alas, I bring you my already in progress 31-for-31.
1. Eat my fruits and veggies! I wish I could live on cupcakes, cookies, bacon, and soda, but I can’t.
2. Get outside every day. Fresh air works wonders. Who cares if it’s hot or cold? I’m not going to melt, and I’m not going to freeze.
3. Floss daily. I do it sometimes, but not every day. Come on. You don’t either.
4. Exercise. The standard that must be included in any resolution list. But I have been! I’m even running a 5K in a few weeks!
5. Don’t quit my job! So, working from home and taking care of kids is far more challenging than I would have ever expected. Six months in and I’m still trying to get into a good swing. I have some days of heavy frustration where I’m sure I can’t do this not one more minute. But I do, and I will continue, and it will get better.
6. Take a stab at writing a murder mystery. Pun totally intended.
7. The Empty Sink rule. You will never see a dish in my mother-in-law’s sink. It’s quite remarkable. If something is dirty, it gets put in the dishwasher or washed right away. It’s her peeve, but I think it’s an awesome way to stay on top of a pesky chore, and I want to do it too!
8. Read to my kids more. Sure, we do bedtime stories. But why not wake up stories? Or after lunch stories?
9. 31 pounds. That’s how much I want to lose during my 31st year. In 2 months, I’ve lost 6 pounds. Not a huge number, but I’m going for the marathon, not the sprint, and that has me right on track.
10. Try Zumba! This one I’m happy to say I’ve successfully done! What a great, fun workout!
11. See friends. With us all being parents and working, it’s not as easy as we wish it was. But I hope my friends know their importance in my life, and how I wish we could see each other more!
12. Call family. In the world of text and email, hearing someone you love’s voice can be such a pleasure.
13. Become more financially healthy. Stick to our budget. Think before we buy. Keep heading towards a debt free life!
14. Stop biting my nails. I’m about to put hot sauce on my own fingers.
15. Happy Birthdays. Wish them to anyone and everyone. Each new year is a blessing!
16. Donate. Whether it be time, material items, or money. Giving back is one of the most gratifying feelings.
17. Have an adult beverage, or two. I bartend twice a week, but rarely ever enjoy a drink myself. I have to remind myself that it’s okay to have a glass of wine on the couch after a long day!
18. Drink more water. Before I was pregnant with Blake and during my pregnancy, I drank about a gallon a day. Now I’m drinking a lot less water and a lot more crap. Time to go back to water.
19. Cook. I’m never going to be a gourmet chef, but I do enjoy trying new recipes and preparing meals for my family. I just don’t do it very often. But I should!
20. Say hello to the neighbors. Another success! In the past 2 months, I’ve met neighbors who just moved in, and neighbors we’ve lived across the street from for 6 and a half years (who we had never actually met prior).
21. Start composting. What do I know about composting? Nothing. But I do know that I like my planet, and I want to do my part.
22. Take more pictures. I take a lot with my phone, but really should break out the camera more for some good quailty memories.
23. Organize the photos I take. I’ve always been terrible with this. I have plans to make family yearbooks dating back to our first year of marriage, as well as yearly kid books.
24. Read a book. Finding time to read isn’t easy, but I really should put the Candy Crush down and read a little more often.
25. Have a yard sale. We’ve been saying every single year that we need to have a yard sale. It’s going to happen.
26. More date nights. Don and I need a little more “us” time that doesn’t involve talking about work or falling asleep on the couch while watching sports.
27. Join Instagram. Did it. I like seeing pictures, but the amount of hashtags some people use is a bit much for my liking. #guiltyascharged
28. Do yardwork. I find yardwork to be incredibly calming. I’d like to work on some landscaping, or mow the lawn now and then to give Don a break.
29. Reuseable grocery bags. I have them. I just need to remember to bring them.
30. Make time for me. Maybe it means doing a Pinterest project. Maybe it means taking a nap.
31. Blog. And here I am 🙂